Clothes To Kids is a non-profit organization that provides free clothing to in-need students in Colorado.
The non-profit organization, located on Colorado Boulevard in Denver, provides children of all ages with the opportunity to shop at the store and choose items to take home free of charge.
Clothes To Kids supplies the students who come to their store with a full wardrobe. This includes five tops, four bottoms (pants, shorts, skirts or dresses), one additional dress or skirt, one jacket, one pair of shoes and five pairs of new underwear and socks.
”Come to us first,” said Katie Jones Jadwin, communications director for Clothes To Kids of Denver. “Clothes To Kids can provide students with clothes so families don’t have to worry about the cost of supplying a new wardrobe.”
The non-profit organization allows kids to shop their store for a full wardrobe two times a year.
“The ability for children to choose their clothing is extremely important to the organization,” Jadwin said. “We’re one of the only places where kids are invited to shop for their items in a store-like setting. We don’t want to just give away clothes, we want them to have a fun experience.”
To qualify to shop in the store, students must live in the Metro Denver area and be enrolled in school and considered in need of assistance. Students who qualify for free and reduced lunches automatically qualify to shop Clothes To Kids.
“There are 204,000 students in the Denver Metro area living at or below the poverty level,” said Jadwin.
The need in Colorado was the inspiration for creating this non-profit in 2008. The organization was created by four women who wanted to help the students in Denver.
Clothe To Kids receives the majority of its clothes from individual donations. Most of its funding comes from donations as well, which can be made online.
Clothes To Kids is holding a Blue Jean Bash on September 21st at Colorado University in South Denver to raise money for and celebrate the organization. The event involves a silent-auction.
The non-profit organization’s plans for the future involve continuing to grow and provide students with clothes. It hopes to increase its availability to the community in the Denver area.
The following testimonials reveal the positive feedback the organization is seeing from those who have used Clothes To Kids services.
- “I am so grateful to all of you and the volunteers who helped us get clothes last week. We just moved here and each of my five kids found everything they needed for their new schools. Thank you for helping me take care of my kids and for clothing them in love, joy, and happiness. We rejoice in all of the great work you are doing.”
- “The volunteers are patient with you so you can pick anything you like. If you don’t find what you need, they go above and beyond to make sure you find it.”
- “The atmosphere and the quality of clothing makes my kids feel more like the other kids. The kids get new things for free, which means more money for groceries.”
- “Since clothes are one of the basic human needs, we really appreciate your help. It means a lot for us parents to be able to provide school clothing for our children.”
- “Thank you. You make life a lot easier for all of us and anybody like us that needs help.”
- “Thanks for all your help. You are a blessing to me and my family.”
Clothes To Kids has eight paid staff members and over 400 volunteers. Sign up here if you are interested in volunteering.
2890 S. Colorado Blvd. Unit M-3
Denver, CO 80222
By Appointment Only